Posts tagged crs2008

Decoding the Crystal Reports Server 2008 Database – CMS_InfoObjects6

I’ve been looking for a way to run some sort of audit or just a peak at what’s included in the Crystal Reports Server 2008 Database.  This database controls all the aspects of Crystal Reports Server including the parameters that are used to launch the WACS server, SIA, and the CMS (If you use CRS2008 you know what these terms mean, otherwise you wouldnt be looking at this blog right now)

So, in order to run some sort of audit on the database, you have to go through and look at the CMS_InfoObjects6 table.  This table contains all the information on CRS2008 including Nodes, Folders and Reports.

If you look at the database table itself you notice that alot of the fields are in “Binary Data” format which makes it almost impossible to look at, well, almost….

Here is a nice query, that will help you get started in understanding and using the CMS_InfoObjects6 database

There is really no real magic to this query, and nothing really special.  It tells you what the object names are, and converts the lastmodifydate  from binary to human readable format.  I have yet to figure out how to decrypt the SI_GUID, SI_CUID, SI_RUID and the Properties Field, but I will leave that for another day since the query above gives me the information I was looking for

And before I forget, I have to give credit to Andu over at the BOB forums his post is basically where this query comes from

Facebook Twitter Email Linkedin Digg Delicious

Error 80040154 when using .Net Infoview

So I recently had to install the latest and greatest Crystal Reports Server 2008 v1 on Windows 2008 SP2 64-bit.

I followed the install guide from SAP and thought that all went well until I tried to run the .NET infoview.

as soon as I did, it gave me this error:

Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E063B04A-CB8B-460E-99D0-F7D8FA2FAAA2} failed due to the following error: 80040154.                                                                                                               
An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.                                                                   
Exception Details:
Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E063B04A-CB8B-460E-99D0-F7D8FA2FAAA2} failed due to the following error: 80040154.                                                                                                                          
Source Error:                                                                                                                           
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of                                                              
the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
Stack Trace:                                                                                                                  
[COMException (0x80040154): Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {E063B04A-CB8B-460E-99D0-F7D8FA2FAAA2} failed due to the following error: 80040154.]              
CrystalDecisions.Enterprise.SessionMgr..ctor() +66                                                        
BusinessObjects.Enterprise.Infoview.Common.Utilities.GetInstalledLanguages() +80          
BusinessObjects.Enterprise.Infoview.Common.Utilities..cctor() +83
[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for ‘BusinessObjects.Enterprise.Infoview.Common.Utilities’ threw an exception.]                                                                                            
BusinessObjects.Enterprise.Infoview.Global.Application_Error(Object sender, EventArgs e) +619
System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e) +0                                    
System.Web.HttpApplication.RaiseOnError() +174

Following their Knowledge base articles 1310290* and 1487760* is supposed to fix the problem, BUT…..

It just never worked for me no matter what, then something in note 1487760 caught my eye:

By default, IIS6 or IIS7 on 64-bit Windows run with 64-bit W3WP.EXE processes, but as .Net Infoview is implemented through 32-bit ISAPI DLLs, the W3WP.EXE processes for IIS7 cannot load them

So, I used my trusty friend Process Monitor from SysInternals / Microsoft and found that when W3WP.EXE loaded Infoview (you can see this by monitoring while doing an IISreset), it loaded it using the 64-bit .NET framework even though I had specified in the AppPool to use 32-bit

So I did a little poking around and found that the “Application” under the parent Crystal Website I created were not inheriting the Application Pool from the main site, they were all set to Classic .NET AppPool.  After going in, and manually switching them all to my CrystalReports2008 Application pool, Infoview started working again.

So there you have it, if you are running into this issue, now you know how to fix it, or at least what to look for.

I will be making another post later on how to install Crystal Reports Server 2008 v1 on Windows 2008

* those KB’s probably require you to login as a SAP support user, which I am, so I can view them but you may not be able to.  In my installation intructions, I will make sure I include the instructions from the KB’s

Facebook Twitter Email Linkedin Digg Delicious
Go to Top